Thursday 3 November 2011

October, then.

Began with: "Death In Leamington. A poem by John Betjeman and a folk music experience," as I wrote on our BPS Facebook page after the post below. And then came radio silence on here during the rest of the month. Blogs are supposed to a regular thing, aren't they? Sorry about that!

Let's just say The Somerville didn't quite go as we expected, and leave it at that.
There followed, not so much inactivity, as a different direction during the rest of October. The Parrot Boys, being the diverse,interesting bunch they are,had other activities to pursue whilst yours truly attempted to extend his portfolio by doing some solo spots.

After many years cowering behind musicians, it can be quite intimidating performing unaccompanied material without any instrumentation. What it does do though, is provide an opportunity to revisit or rework material. At The Miner's Arms a couple of weeks ago,I was surprised to be asked to do more numbers than I had originally planned for. I opened up with "The Old Triangle". I often use this as a larynx-stretcher before rehearsals, but had never sung it in public before. I followed it with "Bonio Romeo," a BPS song with more canine puns in it than you can wag a tail at. In another existence, when BPS were a three piece, with myself and John Walker and Arnold both on guitar, we used to air this occasionally. Don't think Arnold likes it very much in this format, but the audience did, so there.

I finished the first half with "The Poachers Lament." This is a song we have occasionally done acapella,although we are currently working on a full musical version of it with a couple of jigs at the end courtesy of fiddle player Eddie. During the second half, I thought I'd try "Santy Anna," a shanty we used to open with when we ran the Bulls Head Folk Club in Brinklow. Now I like shanties, with their call and response, but the very mixed audience seemed a little glum about it. Probably would have gone better if I'd given them some ropes to pull? Preferably around my neck. Always one for a challenge, I finished off my contribution by doing a Ry Cooder-inspired cover of a Gospel song-"Jesus on The Mainline." The audience fared a little better with this,and together we got to the end of it without any tears. Amongst those also on that night were The Thruppenny Bits, Malc Dave and Gill, and a lady who did a very um, interesting version of Paper Roses.

At a fairly quiet Bedworth Rugby Club the following week, John Neal was showcasing his new CD. Brian and Marie sang with their usual panache,and I sang "Bonio Romeo" again and "Bring It On Home." In which the audience once again bravely joined in.

And so on to a new venue for me, The Bell at Monks Kirby,whence the Sly Old Dogs and Friends had decamped since quitting the pub over the road a few months ago. A nice big pub with a big room and a sizeable audience. Hosted by Pete Willow and featuring a plethora of talented musicians. Despite only living three miles up the road I got eyeballed by a few locals as soon as I entered the building. Very much like the New Kid at School. Possibly because of the Nuneaton Boro' hat I was wearing.

More instrumentation than Mad Frank Instrumentation was uncorked from boxes,bags,and by sleight of hand.Whole trees of the blooming things appeared. As the cases were unopened beforehand, I thought I might have stumbled into a Bring and Buy Sale by mistake.

A good Craic however, as the saying goes. Three halves, free grub, and a broad mix of performers and material. I did "The Old Triangle" and "Bring It On Home." This was atonement for the truly remarkable version of BIOH loitering on You Tube. My vocal there,guesting in with Borderline Crossing,sounds like Dr. John on Helium. I got a much more comfortable pitch this time.The audience sang along. I think drinking lager shandy instead of San Miguel definitely helps hitting the right register.

Considering that there were apparently three other Folk and/or acoustic events going on locally that night, I was surprised by the number of people there, the quality of musicianship, and the enthusiasm of the singing. Lots of traditional stuff, but I especially enjoyed a percussive version of "Copperhead Road," and Chelle's rousing rendition of "Wayfaring Stranger". Definitely going back-and I'm assured they'll have me.

As for the rest of November, as a four piece, we are having a London Bus Period. Nothing at all and then three gigs come along at once. Of which, more, much more, on this very spot, later.