Monday 1 July 2013

Received Wisdom?

A postscript first today, to last Thursday's gig at The Tump. Afterwards, I was chatting to that well respected and charming guitarist Terry Wisdom. Who alas, had been without his companion Jan that evening. He'd still managed to do two lovely songs borrowing one of our guitars. Terry's been around on the Folk Scene even longer than us. For that longevity and especially for the standard of performance he still keeps up, he deserves respect.

   He looked at me rather suspiciously however, as I stammered rather nervously, " I've got a poster with your name on it on my toilet wall." It was potentially an Alan Partridge moment. (You know-that moment when Sir Alan accepts an invitation to his (only?) fan's house only  to find that he has been entrapped by a stalker who has converted one room of his bungalow to a Partridge Shrine).

   I sensed I was digging a hole here, but continued, gamely. Terry seemed particularly keen to deny it. In that polite but assertive voice, Terry eyeballed me and patiently insisted            
"  No, you are wrong. I was never there."
 


    I explained that it was a poster promoting "BRINKLOW 06." This was the event where Dave Sampson successfully re-united Black Parrot Seaside for a "one-off" charridee fund-raising event. After our (amicable) rest period, away from public performance for over nearly 30 years.  Totally appropriately, the poster marking such a momentous event had us Headlining, with several far more worthy acts (seriously!) featured beneath.
     " No," repeated Terry emphatically and conclusively. "That was not me."  I nodded, and politely agreed. I expect he still checked the locks when he got home?

   Far be it from me to contradict an icon. But in this case, Terry  is mistaken. The poster  was to promote a three day Folk festival in September 2006. And here it is:


   Trying to explain myself a little further, it is actually on the wall in a downstairs cloakroom where this memento is framed and hung. Other BPS posters, promo photos and press cuttings adorn the walls. It has a bookshelf, a wash basin, a carpet and some tasteful potted plants. A restful and ideal spot for some light reading and contemplation. It does admittedly also contain a toilet.  Given our brand of humour, it seems an appropriate location for BPS memorabilia somehow.
 
    It's an interesting artefact, isn't it? A fascinating list, with some sweet memories of people we have since lost, and some still performing. (As we are,too-though not in the format now that we played in on that Saturday). Here's some further proof. Recognise those beermats? That upholstery?

   In fairness, I remember a lot of those acts,but  Terry and Janet may have been on the original poster, and  then were unable to play?  Jane Llyod did not appear but that's a typing error? Jane Lloyd probably did. I remember Mick Stuart's set-who wouldn't?

   Anyway if anyone seeing this has access to Terry-show him the blog and tell him he owes me a pint. if he doesn't pay up, I'll be waiting in his back garden behind that privet bush.