Monday 1 September 2014

Autumn Drawers On

 
     After a lovely sunny day, for the first time in, oh, ages, my alpine drive across the High Sierras of North Warwickshire was completed in gathering twilight, as I joined revellers ( is that too strong a word?) at The Bell in Monks Kirby last night. For a gathering of Sly Old Dogs and Friends. I saw only two rabbits and a blackbird on that drive, so the odds on a below average attendance on arrival seemed high. But the room was once again busy, and in addition to The Pack there were numerous Friends (me included) to add to the musical goings-on. I was looking forward to the evening, as I had missed the previous two-one due to an altercation with another vehicle en route, and the other because I was confused. People say I still am.
     I arrived early to distribute table fliers for a new Folk Club, opening in Nuneaton next month. (Did I mention that?). As Sly Old Dogs are the guests there on November 5th, it seemed a sensible thing to do. Sean Cannon joined us last night too, and with the audience pounding the tables and screaming for more, after he'd finished ( I think he pays them), I stupidly forgot to plug his future appearance at NFC, too. Oh well. You can see more of Sean when he comes to The Crown. (Did I mention that?).

    Mine host Paco played a spirited part in last night's proceedings. More accurately, he played spoons on a couple of SOD's numbers, and duetted rather touchingly with Sean on a Spanish song. Looking into each others eyes across a crowded room, it was all rather disturbing. A bit like Rene and Renata for the Clinically Insane.Other singing and playing guests included Cheryl, Gerry  Carol  Gillespie, Colin Squire and Eddie. For the record, I did " Thirty Foot Trailer" and a Parrot original," Down Our Street" which always goes down well with this audience.
         The spectacle of Bob Brooker, complete with new haircut, and strumming his giant Bazouki (Matron!), hairy legs akimbo and whilst wearing a stunning pair of voluminous green shorts, was almost more than the faint hearted could take. But it  was near matched by Paul Kelly, newly perched atop what appeared to be a Builder's ladder. In fairness, this did enable him to deal with the regular heckling more effectively. He told us it was to help heal an injury incurred whilst mixing cement. During Paddy on The Railway, Paul's dangling legs, barely able to reach the bottom rung, twitched  and danced convulsively. It was all a bit macabre, and like watching one of those mannequins in a glass encased end-of-pier slot machine. The orthopaedic chair ( if that's what it was, not something from his garden shed) also empowered Paul to dish out virtually every pun on steps, chairs and bad backs known to man and beast.
      Talking of John McKintosh, my suave and erudite co-compere from RODFEST only a couple of nights previously, he plucked bass for the Slys.  John and I were just plain and simple entertainers last Thursday at The Tump.  ( I was plain). I always say there is nothing like good comedy, and that's exactly what you get with John. (Read it aloud).  He proved once again that he is to Stand Up what Genghis Khan was to Gynaecology, as he told jokes which would get him beaten with a Shepherd's crook from Corwen to Llanfairfechan. But John gets a tick from me, for referring to one table of hecklers as "Waldorf and Statdler."
     Proceedings in the third of three halves (that's the New National Curriculum Maths,by the way) were enlivened by the spectacular aerobatics of a crazed wasp, attacking both musicians and audience, and a Crane Fly which landed (fatally) in my pint of Shandy. Perhaps this heightened insect activity is why our audience began to thin a little, as the night drew to a close? Take heed, would-be Nuneaton Folk Club performers. (Have I mentioned that at all yet?).  Leaving early, or just after you've done your spot is very bad form in the Parrot's beady eye view. Your thrift given will be very short indeed, if you come that malarkey with us.  And don't give me all that Old Sailor about missing the Last Bus. There aren't any buses in Monks Kirby. The stagecoach and Hansom Cab haven't even got there yet.