Monday 2 May 2016

BBC Folk Awards Part Two


          So in the interests of my Art and because I did not have much to do on a Bank Holiday Monday,  I have just sat through the televised highlights of the BBC Folk Awards. After my vicious and bile-filled rant of last week on the matter, it seemed the decent thing to do. Has it softened my rancour or given me second thoughts? Er...no. 
       I came away with several overall impressions. One is, that without a Grand Piano, a Brass Section and a full drum kit, it seems that you are pretty well destined to fail on the Folk Circuit nowadays. Which is bad news for Mac Awe On Tour as we possess none of these objects. Although Brendan Kearney has been known to slap a mean Beatbox occasionally. It is also bad news for Nuneaton Folk Club as we will never be able to lug  a piano, a harp or even a small drum kit up those stairs.
          I also clearly need to spend some time posing in front of a mirror and capering like a demented Goblin on Helium as I promulgate my art. Because just singing, however expressively, however much in tune one may be, is no longer good enough.  I will let my accompanists and fellow musicians know that they must skip about a lot more on stage and pulled pained expressions when scraping a bow or pumping the pipes. If they wish to be taken seriously.
        The Hall of Fame tribute to Sandy Denny was I thought, tastefully done. I loved her work, especially in Fairport and Fotheringay, but (and this will surprise a few of you) I had no problem with Rufus Wainwright's interesting variation on "Who Knows Where The Time Goes." This got a right hammering afterwards on Social media, but I thought it was a fair effort. There was no doubting his sincerity-I've heard far worse versions. Rufus has a decent voice and can hold a note-but I can see how it might have upset a few purists. (GOOD!).  If I had to choose a cover version I'd rank Kate Rusby's second and Eva Cassidy's Third. Son of Loudon? Top Ten. 
         Seth Lakeman solo has rarely done much for me but I thought his duet with Kathryn Roberts was a highlight. No hiding behind a gigantic "orchestra"-just a good percussive guitarist providing the setting for a good strong singer. Low on the pretentiousness and thoroughly enjoyable! I quite liked the opening act too-Lynched, from Dublin delivering a robust rendition of "Sergeant William Bailey."  A bit stagey and a little overlong-but nobly sung and bravely played. 
           Mark Knopfler's piece I think we'll move swiftly on, from ditto the weird acceptance speech of Rhiannon Giddens who spent most of her time delivering it with her neck craned over at a bizarre angle, whilst her nonplussed child stared obediently out into an auditorium of loveliness. ( Perhaps the autocue had slipped?)  Hardeep Rab Kohli, Martin Freeman and Michael Morpurgo all went up a little in my estimation as they announced (less than convincingly ) the winners for several other categories.
          From what I've heard (and reviewed) Show of Hands latest Album was streets ahead of the others in 2015 but the judges, panel, electorate whatever, obviously thought otherwise. The Unthanks won Best Album . They are a proper Marmite band and although I personally love a scrape of yeasty molasses on my toast, the girls and their elaborate productions are just not to my taste. They closed the proceedings with a performance which owed more to Modern Jazz than Folk. With stage personnel running well into double figures, their wispy, breathless vocals were largely eclipsed and partly inaudible. Something about swallows and loving their love because he loved them. Which is  nice. I once gave away an Unthanks album I'd won as a raffle prize. I think I did the right thing. 
      Joan Armatrading's Lifetime Achievement Award was deserved and she growled out a typical version of one of her signature hits whilst bashing a very prettily inlaid guitar effectively. Norman Waterson won in the same category. Again-deserved, but another massive entourage took to the stage to honour her. 
         Mark Radcliffe as a presenter? Well we're back in Marmite Territory again there. Next year the organisers could do worse than get Morpurgo and Freeman back. But in God's name please please DO NOT invite Ade Edmonson to compere. ( I bet he's already offered).