Monday 12 February 2018

So what was your Monday like then?

       Well,I got up,had some breakfast, made a cup of tea and went onto the P.C. to check my emails and see  if my Folk Monthly copy had gone to the magazine safely. The one that advertised the next three months of Nuneaton Folk Club's Guests at The Crown. The one I pay for.  It had been delivered safely, so that done I went onto FaceBook and discovered that several people were lamenting the permanent closure of The Crown, Nuneaton. As of,like NOW. 
     To say this came as a bit of a surprise to me personally is an understatement. Finding out on a Social Media page that NFC suddenly-instantly-had to find a new home felt I imagine, a bit like  being dumped or sacked by Text does. It felt all the more strange because those responsible had said nothing to me about it on the three occasions last week when I spoke to them. 
      Looking back I can see now that, being a nice unsuspecting sort of chap I had missed the tell-tale signs. Being asked to move all the P.A. gear out and take it home, instead of being allowed to store it there. The suddenly missing furniture.  The stage lights left lying across the stage. The glasses full of three week old beer on the window sills. Having to sweep the room and move furniture back into place before opening up each First Wednesday. The sack truck in the middle of the dance floor last Wednesday evening.  Being clandestinely unfriended by certain individuals on Facebook. (Only noticed that today!) Little things-but cumulative.
       Quite why all this was kept  secret from me, I have no idea. To check that the closure wasn't just a rumour or false news, I thought the best thing to do was to drive into Town this afternoon, to see what was happening "on the Ground."  Sure enough, arriving about 2.30 pm the pub was closed. The lights were off. The gates were being locked as I arrived, and Mine Host was preparing to drive away-presumably for the last time.
           For old times sake I will respect his request for privacy about the conversation which then took place between us. The Crown has gone. I had some good times in there and I had some bloody awful ones. Of the manner of its closure I will say no more. 


       At times, a decent booser, CAMRA acknowledged and next to the station,it was one of my regular watering holes long before any Folk Club.  I'd been going there for Sunday Night quizzes,Beer Festivals a pint before Nuneaton Borough's Home games and for occasional "live" gigs,way before I got together with the management to launch a Folk Club there. (The town did not have one at the time, although it used to in the past). 

       We launched in October 2014 and put on a total of 43 shows upstairs there,culminating in an absolute stormer last week from Phil Hare who was supported by some excellent Floor Spots. Always on the first Wednesday of every month since that date.Rain,snow,heat waves, we never missed.  Besides all the Guests,many many talented musicians had come along and played Floor Spots. Many people will have fond memories of these nights. 
        After our final little chat on the ex-pub apron this afternoon I recalled a recent conversation I'd had one night with our Sound Man Dave Smart.I went straight away around Roanne Ringway, to see Richard, who runs The Crew and The Queen's Hall,. Within an hour of waving a not so tearful farewell to one venue, NFC was established in another. A  new one. Bigger. Better. Warmer. Cleaner. The Crown  has gone. But The Queen lives on. Long may she reign. 
Over and most definitely OUT