Saturday 9 February 2019

Last Orders at The Larder

       Last Orders there primarily because the first Wednesday in the month sessions in the afternoon have now ceased. The good news is they have relocated nearby. They no longer occur in the Military themed Larder Cafe in Long Street Atherstone. It's farewell to spam fritters and enamel mugs and hello to Church End's (fabulous)  Goats Milk and Sausage sandwiches just over the road.
       As of Wednesday February 6th these friendly sessions have relocated to a bigger,plusher setting in a room at The Red Lion Hotel.(See below)  Which (handily) is also in Long Street. A good job the event has moved to larger premises really, as the turnout for the first afternoon there was above 25. They would never have fitted all those people into the Larder. Or their instruments.
            I arrived just a little late. The parking was  easier too,as The Red Lion is at the other end of the street to the cafe. As I entered, Finger In The Jar-Phil Benson with Steve and Ann Beeson had just finished and John and Elaine Meechan were just launching into something typically robust. Involving lots of jolly chorus singing and lots of laughter. I had time to nip out and order a pint. Or so I thought. On return Wes Hall was under way. He sang along with Simon Roberts who played cello. They performed one of the many variations on Blue White and Green Cockades.  I've seen this combination previously at Bedworth Folk Club. It works well. Wes later sang "The Times They Are a Changin'" a good old Dylan favourite which got everybody singing.  
         We all sang taking turns,duos trios or solo, scattered all around the room. This was not always easy as it was a long room,and the armchairs were very comfortable. An open fire added to the general cosiness. 
        Some of the  musicians packed in there there, I already knew. Others I didn't. I did not initially catch all their names but I have checked them out since. I did know Dave and Julia Taylor and Pete McPartland as well as those I have already mentioned. There were quite a few listeners present too-several of whom support all three North Warwickshire Folk Clubs.It was all getting very eclectic as Pete McParland did a Keane number and I resurrected Rod Felton's "Curly."  ( I feel it is important that respected songwriters like Roddie  are not lost or forgotten when they pass on to The Other Place). 
       Settled at the far end by an imposing floor to ceiling bookcase were Robert and Julie Elverstone. They were a couple from Hinckley who I'd not met before. They sang and played a couple of traditional songs rather well. Nor had I come across Eric Naylor and his Ukulele,seated in the same area.  He did a unique version of The Springfields "Island of Dreams" and later on he gamely tackled Keith West's "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera." Grocer Jack and all. The latter not  strictly Trad Arr but a sterling effort. Truly unforgettable. 
Eric Naylor

                I also recognised Muriel Halpin who  has a lovely singing voice.She arrived a little later on and so only did one song  but it was really nice. 
       Leah Simon arrived a little after the start,too. She was carrying a bonny baby called George.and an interesting looking instrument. Actually George wasn't all that bonny when he first arrived-but after all, it must have been a bit scary being suddenly surrounded by all those Senior Citizens. He settled down well and cheered up after a good long drink.( I think most of us did the same). By the end of the afternoon he was waving at everyone.
     Whilst Dad entertained George, Leah produced what I thought was a compact  Autoharp. It turned out this was no such thing. It was  a Kantele from Finland-their national instrument I am told.  She played it really nimbly  and sang "The Spinning Wheel" along to it.  I'd been thinking about doing my version of this song as my second offering. It is  a little racier,  with different words. Leah's version was much more tasteful. 
       I'd also been thinking about doing "Black Velvet Band," but again,good job I didn't as it was the final song of the afternoon courtesy of FITJ. Instead I did "The Bonny Black Hare," which can be taken on several levels if you enjoy a bit of innuendo.