Friday 21 February 2014

Thumping Good Night at The Tump

      I  just love playing  this venue. It is a selfish and personal love, for as I have previously written, The Humber Hotel is in a part of Coventry where I spent my first eleven years growing up. The railway line which separated my street from this part of town is long gone. As has the massive car plant opposite. It once turned out Humber Hawks and Hillman Minxes: Commer Cobs and Sunbeam Rapiers. The pub's bowling green and outdoor shelters have mostly disappeared, but the interior wood panelling and picture windows remain.  The year I got married, I worked as a gardener, on nearby Gosford Park, Binley Park, Gentleman's Green, Stoke Green and the Bowling Green. And The Humber has the distinction of being the last pub I had a drink in as a single man!

    (As on previous nights), yesterday I caught a late bus into Coventry and had a couple of pints in The Whitefriar Alehouse. After two glasses of the exquisite Salopian Oracle, I strode onwards to Humber Road. Previously, I'd cut through Northfield Road, where I once lived. Past houses where my aunties, uncles, Grandads and Grandmas previously lived. But this time, I walked along Far Gosford and Gosford Street, and up Binley Road.  Along thoroughfares which formed most of my childhood. I went to school in Gosford Street, and I was a choirboy at All Saints Church, just up the road on the opposite side. These streets used  to be lined with shops, cinemas, offices, factories and pubs. With a few gaps where The Luftwaffe had previously made some minor structural alterations. I saw that almost every building had remained intact, though virtually every one left by now  had suffered a change of use. I say "suffered", for when a fine old Edwardian pub has become a Domino's Takeaway, no other word will suffice.  
 
     I arrived at The Tump, joining the rest of the band, feeling nostalgic, with my tonsils well lubricated and in a relaxed state of mind. Last night saw B.P.S. in a five piece format: Malc Gurnham on acoustic base, Dave Parr and Arnold on guitars and Mick Harris playing banjo accordion and mandolin. Mick had chosen many of the set numbers-and feeling very adventurous, had also suggested that we should  include a brand new song.
 
      There were some first class acts there last night, making this a really good evening. Indeed, the landlady paused in dispensing the (superbly kept) Spitfire and confided "I think that's one of the best nights we've had whilst the club's been here!" Three duos featured. Dragonhead competently played an eclectic mix of tunes together. Gerry Bailey and Nigel Ward combined effectively-Gerry on guitar and Nigel swapping between fiddle and mandolin. Terry and Jan Wisdom were just....sublime. Lovely voices, lovely harmonies, superb instrumentation and an example to us all.  Solo we had Cheryl tackling some ambitious projects such as "Village Green Appreciation Society" and "Marrakesh Express." Colin King gave us some tunes with a Celtic flavour and Derrick Pearce upped the nostalgia ante with some George Formby songs and fine ukulele work.   
  
    As for us, we started with "Salt of The Earth," an angry song which we wrote long ago in response to The Strawb's "Part of The Union." It has a strong chorus, it was on our last CD, and several of the audience recognised it and sang along. They then indulged us as we aired  "Down our Street." Our new baby, barely a month old, was introduced to the general public. Northfield Road and Gosford Street were the inspiration behind the lyrics. How poignant it seemed, to be singing about Di Di Mascio, Midland Counties and Coalmens' lorries, in a place which once had echoed to the sounds and sights of them.  Malc and Dave were both joining  in and hearing it for the first time, so all told, it went o.k.  Another protest song, "The Gravy Train," then followed, and after that we performed  Gus Elen's "Houses In Between." This went well, and the audience sang along with the choruses.
     We ended our stint with perennial favourites "The Odeon" and " Albert Balls."  Although one or two of the tunes we'd played were trad. (arr.) , five were our own songs. Quite unusual for us nowadays to feature only one "cover!"