Wednesday 10 June 2020

From There To Here

From There To here    Jacqui McShee and Kevin Dempsey      MCDEM RECORDS
          Kevin Dempsey is a bit of a hero of mine. He's a regular guest at Nuneaton Folk Club and a welcome guest at all the other local venues too. His work as a solo artiste or as a member of Dando Shaft and Whippersnapper is legendary. As an icon he has earned the right to be a bit aloof and a bit distant if he wanted to, but he never is. He is always the same lovely,grounded fellow that I've known for years. I like his guitar playing,his singing voice and I like Kevin Dempsey. I'm also honoured to say that occasionally he has agreed to jam in with my band,and we've been like starstruck teenagers on stage when he has. All the photos show us grinning and him focussing on the guitar! The man is just Boss. It says everything that he dropped the copy of this album round at my house. In person.
Kevin Dempsey with Nunc.
       Now we've got that out of the way,let's move on to Jacqui McShee. I've never met her,but I adored Pentangle too, especially the stuff she did with them. Basket of Light is in my top ten Folk albums of all time . Her vocal contributions on The Cuckoo, House Carpenter and Once I Had A Sweetheart were (and remain) sublime. As a Folk Jock I've played their stuff and Kev's many times. When I heard they were doing an album together...just...wow!
       This new album contains some of my favourite Folk Songs. I've always loved Brigg Fair and Lord Franklin for example. I have many versions of Lord Franklin,and have always admired John Renbourne's version most. Turns out it's Jacqui's favourite,as well! I have always had a soft spot for Nature Boy too. A brave project but as Jacqui says, "this is a song we have both wanted to sing for a long time."   And of the trad arrsJack Monroe just has that indefinable Dempsey kick and swing to it. Both in the picking and the singing.
        The coincidences just keep on coming. Many centuries ago ( I exaggerate slightly) I studied English Literature at a London College and qualified to teach it to "A" Level. One of my areas of study was the work Of William Butler Yeats-who of course all scholars will know was Irish and not English! . My own life took a different course and so I never did get round to sharing his poetry with a group of Sixth Formers, Innisfree though was always one of my favourite poems by the great man -and blow me down here it is on this album put to music! 
       They are not afraid to stray away from covers and to tackle their own writing projects. Beautiful Island is credited as being a McShee/Dempsey composition but I suspect the lyrics are Jacqui's alone as it refers to a personal experience. Frankie too is very personal. It is about Jacqui's dad although by coincidence Kev's dad is also a Frankie.  
          Telephone Lies reverses the credits so I'm assuming it's one of Kev's. " it keeps the yearning at bay," he suggests in the notes,referring to the occasional bit of judicious editing when reporting home whilst on the road. Leaving is their final effort together-a lighthearted reflection of Brexit which again I have to say I have a great deal of sympathy with. 
        The sleeve notes are meticulous- a wonderful asset for a Radio Show presenter! I always like to study credits,check on a written version of a lyric and absorb any background if provided. The artwork and photography is subtle and Joe Broughton has done a fine job on the mastering. 
         There's no getting away from it, voices change and evolve over time. ( I speak from personal experience!)  Listening to myself singing on vinyl in 1978 is not quite the same as hiding behind a settee when I'm on You Tube nowadays. Luckily for Kev and Jacqui,that special timbre and intonation is still there. Like a fine Madeira, it may have matured with age,but whether solo or in a duet together here are two immaculate,perfectly phrased voices. A Collectors Item and a musical treat.  It is available in all digital forms and can be ordered from Kevin's or Jacqui's websites.