Tuesday 14 May 2024

May Frolics at The Albany

Other than a couple of outings with The Hawkesbury Trawlermen this was my first public appearance in any Folk Venue since I stepped down as compere and organiser at Nuneaton Folk Club in February. I was ring rusty and not a little bit disoriented by the time  I arrived for the Sound Checks. Not helped by dropping and breaking my prescription sunglasses in the Car Park whilst trying to read the totally unfathomable Cov. Rugby Club instructions. Having guessed that a fiver would suit, the machine told me it would buy me only two hours. Daylight Robbery.

The drive in from Outer Warwickshire had been more like entering Colorado than Coventry. My car thermometer registered 27c as I circumnavigated The Ring Road. I'd played The Albany studio before several times in other guises including  appearances there with both Nunc and  The Hawkesburys.  I knew the venue had been given a makeover there, but that does not really cover what I saw on entering. Talk about the WOW! Factor. 

All facilities are now  downstairs and all are on one level. Probably the best facilities I have seen in Coventry, Warwickshire and The Midlands.  The washrooms (US-style euphemism there) would make Tim Martin envious. No more trekking up flights of stairs or stumbling out into a freezing Portakabin to spend a penny. The bar area has been moved, relocated and enlarged, too. The Foyer is bigger than ever and very professional looking. For anyone who remembers the previous layout, The Studio performance area itself is now fully enclosed, with doors some of the staff refer to as "The Air Lock" stopping any noise bleed filtering in from outside. The curtains on the corridor side are now permanently open and all of these improvements definitely make the acoustics better than ever. The staff were all marvellous too. Helpful, courteous and kind. From our Sound Technician to the bar and counter staff, the meeters and greeters and security. Great ambassadors for the theatre. 

I wouldn't say I was subbing for Pete Willow last night, more appearing there as Guest M.C.-a role Pete has trusted me with previously.  In fairness, having seen Pete a few hours before kick off he wasn't going to be stepping out anywhere soon. In his quest to becoming Folk's Bionic man, he was recovering from a recent knee replacement.  Another one, apparently. 

The headline act were Liam Vincent and The Odd Foxes of whom more later. As has happened before at CV Folk I was handed a radio mike to begin with. It worked ok in the Sound check but died on me instantly during my opening sentence at 7,30pm . Hand mikes  don't like me and the feeling is mutual. From then on I relied on voice projection. Good job I can reach the back of a room that size without artificial amplification.  To warm the audience up I began with a shanty from The Hawkesbury's Set list-" Donkey Riding." With a health warning first that this was not the version which some of us had learned learned from BBC Schools Radio, but a much saltier original version. The audience sang along gamely. 

We actually all needed warming up as the air conditioning was set a little too high-or low initially. The  icy air which had already blasted all of Pete's meticulously compiled fliers across the room was a distraction-someone I think must have adjusted it later. I followed up with Woody Guthrie's epic " Vigilante Man" : a song I'd sung with four different bands. Written in 1940, It rails angrily against "The Authorities" persecuting The Homeless, The Poor and displaced persons sleeping  rough. Some politicians today would now call this a life choice. What a shame this kind of bullying still exists 84 years on.  

First up was Jamie Scott. I'd not seen him before. If I had I would have invited him over to Nuneaton Folk Club. Jamie had two guitars-one was a beautiful resonator. I'm a sucker for that sound, be it Dobro, National Steel or a wood bodied one like this. Totally authentic and using a bottleneck to produce an authentic steel effect, Scott played a tidy mix of his own stuff and some covers of blues originals. I loved his version of Robert Johnson's "Dust My Broom." Last week would have seen the ninth birthday of my twin Grandsons Robert and ray. Christened after the great man himself. Like Robert they died too early, so it was a poignant moment for me. 

 I'd sung "If I Had Possession"  another Robert Johnson classic, fronting several bands also. Indeed, I'm so Nerdy I have compiled a playlist of artistes who have had a go at the Elmore James style Dust My Broom riff. Spencer Davis, John Mayall, Clapton, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, The Allmans, Canned Heat,Taj Mahal-they've all had a punt. When Jamie began, the drum kit behind was vibrating to the tone of his voice and the steel strings. Kudos to The Foxes drummer who surreptitiously nipped through the curtains and tightened down the snare to stop that. it was that kind of night. Very friendly and lots of mutual support.

Next up were Julie Neal and Robert Small. The last time I'd seen Julie, she had lost her voice completely-and it had looked serious. She was always one of the best ragtime/fingerpicking players on the circuit and latterly she'd been of necessity just playing instrumentals with Robert stepping in and adding a contribution. To my delight Julie not only introduced some of the numbers but actually sang along in some of the choruses. Theirs was an eclectic and entertaining set with material ranging from Freight Train to Elvis Presley. 

Then came the interval, with me trying to persuade people to part with some money to show their appreciation for the show so far and for what was to come. As we commenced the second half I sang "Di Di The Ice Cream Man," which is oft requested. Hopefully I will finally get that song recorded and released along with some others later this year.

That done, I was able to hand the rest of the evening over to Liam and Co. Their set was energetic and absorbing with songs that were by turns intense and thoughtful. There was good interplay and exchange between the lead musicians which included violin, electric and acoustic guitars. The rhythm section set up a good solid platform to mount this on, with some solid electric bass work and powerful drumming reinforced by substantial amplification.  

Foxes and Folk seem to go together. Mr. Fox were a 1970s electric folk supergroup who produced a seminal album in "The Gypsy." The 13 minute title track was revolutionary for its time and is still well worth a listen. Fleet Foxes have a retro crossover sound featuring layered harmonies. And our own local Urban Fox are making a name for themselves since they formed only a few years back. We've featured all three on "Anker Folk." Signs are that Odd Foxes will be joining them soon. There's actually not much odd about them, although they are very diverse-so in that sense the different component parts give you plenty to look at and listen to. 

Next on at CV Folk at The Albany Theatre are Tu-Kay and Ryan supported by Katherine Abbot and Yonderland on 9th June. Kevin Dempsey is also putting on a guitar workshop there in June. Give the venue a try if you've not been there before. Or go back if you are a previous visitor and check out the vast improvements. 

As for Liam Vincent and the Odd Foxes they are next in Cov at the two day MotoFest on Saturday 1st June. There's a bit of a Vulpine theme that afternoon, with Urban Fox on at 1.20pm and the Odd Variety closing the show, due on stage at 4.05pm. Precinct Stage and free, with me in charge of them again. Check 'em out