Wednesday 1 October 2014

Folk's Got Talent? The "F" Factor.

Folk and Acoustic Club Protocols: Further Tips for Floor Spots/Potential bookings.

    Never, since I first started singing in public, have I been so popular. Has this anything to do with ( I wonder)  the fact that my name is now amongst those linked with the launch of a new Folk Club?  Odd really, because this isn't the first one we've run. The other one did not seem to attract the same manic attention,however. And when we weren't running one-we had to work very hard on establishing ourselves on the Folk scene. By performance, not advertising.

Most of the attention has been most welcome. Much of it has been well intentioned. Some of it has been aggressive marketing strategy which will not advance the causes of those promoting it relentlessly one iota. Some of it has emanated from sources claiming to be well versed in Folk etiquette, when clearly, by their pushy, boastful, almost hostile pressure selling, they haven't a clue how the whole organic thing works. And in a few instances, some approaches  have constituted harassment. I have taken action to suppress those, as we live in a free and equal society where pestering insulting and stalking people is a criminal offence.
   The World of Folk is generally a lovely one. Best encapsulated by the Fairytale Goblins and Witches of the Incredible String Band, the Fey wispy singing of Kate Rusby: the abrasive social comment of Dick Gaughan: and a host of others.
    At our level (which, readers, don't delude yourselves, is Grass Roots level) , I never cease to be surprised by the rich veins of undiscovered talent constantly to be seen and heard in local venues. Recording has changed so much since we were offered a recording and Publishing contract in the 1970's. Now anyone can manufacture their own CD.
    I always find modesty an attractive trait in a performer. Those who bang on and on and on and bloody ON about who they've met, where they've been, how their 23rd album is doing...etc...I dunno...there's something very off-putting for me personally about that. Even if it's all true-I'd rather experience it for myself in public than have my personal space invaded by endless diatribes about how great you are. I'll decide that, along with other band members.