Monday 27 October 2014

From The Vaults to The Bell

......Sounds like Charles Dickens's unpublished novel, but I shared two delightful musical experiences this weekend. On Saturday morning, thanks to a re-juggling of schedules, I was able to take up Des Patalong's invitation to join him and some like-minded choristers for a spot of Sessions recording in The Coal Vaults. Sounds dirtier than it actually was, for the Coal Vaults are now a well-scrubbed (but very historic) Music venue set amongst the Warehouses in Coventry's picturesque Canal Basin Quarter. Yes, picturesque. As was my language, whilst I searched for a place to park. Like a miniature Camden Lock, this hidden gem is an area just screaming out for more added (and sensitive) tourist/artisan development. There are all kinds of Shops, and a Cafe, and a very noticeable absence of narrowboats.

     Led by Des and his remarkable voice, a collection of assorted musicians gathered round an omni directional mike and added choruses to his album in the making. What a highly enjoyable and therapeutic way to pass a couple of hours. Even if we hadn't been gathered there to help make an album, it would still be classed as fun. It was a little gloomy in there, so I could not make out everybody present, but also warbling away in the darkness were my niece, (the lovely Fiona Lindsay-Coulson), Phil Benson, Nigel Ward, Malc Gurnham, Gill Gilsenan, Gareth and Barbara Wyatt, Dan Gascoigne, Brenda Hart  and several other familiar faces. And voices.

    There were Shanties, Christmas Carols and May Pole Songs but I think the highlight for me was the lovely and rather melancholy “Lowlands,” which featured some lovely harmonies. All too soon I was taken out of that exalted company and subjected to Community singing of a different kind, as I watched Nuneaton Town stutter their way to a boring 0-0 draw just up the A444.

      Last night, I was rather spoiled for choice. Call me old-fashioned, but I always believe in taking up invitations rather than gatecrashing an event, so of the three options locally, I opted to join a depleted Sly Old Dogs,in their usual end of month haunt, The Bell at Monks Kirby. Size is isn't everything, however, as one member of the audience was to heckle later, and despite a reduced quantity, we certainly managed to produce quality.

      The fully-rounded Sly Old Dogs are the first Featured Guests at Nuneaton Folk Club on the 5th November.Last night's format saw Pete Willow and Bob Brooker supplemented by Martin Bushnell and Colin Squire. With additional Friends also taking a turn, being Lesley Tregear, Carol Gillespie, yours truly and Graeme.

    The Dogs made a right good noise, treating us to “ I'll tell me Ma!“Willie McBride” “Gypsy Laddie-O,” and many other favourites. I was still inspired by the traditional set we had run through yesterday, so I sang “Shoals of Herring,”The Old Triangle” and “ Thirty Foot Trailer.” Graeme set himself a real challenge by tackling ” The Diggers Song” first time round, and “Let It Be” the second. Colin did “Yarmouth Town”-impossible not to be cheered up by that-and Bob was in particularly fine fettle. Carol's version of “ Galway Shawl” was very enjoyable, and a song from Lesley Tregear was another unexpected treat. All-in all a super night with a large audience, singing as they so often do, very supportively.