Sunday 30 October 2016

Come On. Let's Twist. Again.

      After a difficult week, I hinted via a social media Network that I was losing my mojo a little. Becoming dispirited about Blogging and music generally. I was uplifted by the response via Private messages,Stalkbook and emails. Some people do read my posts and take comfort from the positive things I try to say about them. For people who cannot get to an event, BIogging them is a window into a world they sometimes cannot reach. 
          99% of the Folk I have met in music are supportive,friendly,helpful people. The odd One Per Cent know exactly how to get to me, how to get under my skin and wound me. Why they want to do that, I fail to understand. There is nothing about anything I do to make anyone jealous. They can do one.
          So all that said,after an emotional and challenging few days, I approached Nunc's return spot at The Twisted Barrel, Fargos, Coventry, with mixed feelings. I love the beer, I love the venue and the Staff. I have the greatest respect for Glyn Finch who organises Friday Night sessions there, both as a fine performer and as a host. Also, I have yet to see a bad act there. Having grown up round the corner, it is great to see this place thriving. 
         I speak as one who has played dozens of Coventry's city centre venues. Cov folk on a night out drinking can be a tough crowd. Most of the punters are there for the beer, not the music and I have no problem with that. The Golden Cross, The Colin Campbell, The Dive Bar (now Molly O'Grady's):The Shakespeare, The Climax: The Smithfield-mostly all gone now. You have to work hard. 
Two of Nunc's younger fans ,Alex and Annie, thoroughly enjoying our set
Not so long ago, with Black Parrot Seaside, we played The Tuns. Similar set up. You lock and engage, sing loud and do your best, because weaknesses will be exposed. We weren't on that night until 11pm  and the audience was a mixture of regulars,Goths and a few BPS followers. We got three encores so something went right.
      Glyn was poorly on Friday, with a nasty chest infection preventing him from singing, and limiting his announcing. He sat with a flask of something beefy at the mixing desk, but he did kick off events with his unique interpretation of The Pink Panther Theme before introducing the first turn of the night.
Glyn when he's not got a chest infection
       They were Paper Circus whom we had already met in the car park. They had an impressive sound, doing a mix of covers and their own material. Their singer Jennian had a good look and an imposing,powerful voice. The instrumentation was excellent too:-cello and guitar, well played. I liked them. They were different . Maybe we'll get them over to The Crown. Nice people, with no front and no Diva scene going on.
Paper Circus
          Next up were Nunc. We had a few minor sound issues initially. We did some of the songs previously performed at the T.B. but also gave a public debut to “ Weather With You” and “ Angel From Montgomery.”  Considering we had rehearsed them once-they went o.k. After “Down Where The Drunkards Roll” an audience member brought me up a free bottle of my favourite TB Tipple, Sine Qua Non. Excellent! In fact-I didn't have to buy a beer all night. Must have been my t-shirt. 
Nunc. (Product Placement on my left).
            Stephen Madden and Jimmy Laing were every bit as original and passionate as Paper Circus. Looking deceptively laid back, they seamlessly delivered an uplifting set of powerful songs, with Stephen blasting out vocals of a terrifying intensity. Jimmy's sensitive musical counter points, tastefully interwoven via his saxophone made it an ideal and at times moving combination. Stephen must have iron strings the way he was punishing that guitar.  Flossie was delighted to find out afterwards that she and Stephen went to school together. Small world, huh?
Stephen and Jimmy giving it some
             Then the impro began. Siraj from Paper Circus and Larry Lam duetted on a couple of numbers. They were clearly having fun and blasted out a couple of noisy tunes with great enthusiasm. Larry was then left to close the evening,and his selection of covers finally got a reluctant audience singing. We had the Beatles. We had The Stones and The Poet Laureate. We had Pink Floyd and John Denver. We had lots of other stuff, too. All bashed out with relentless energy and a permanent, genuine smile. It was almost a shame to drag him off, but the staff had homes to go to and by his own admission, he was running out of voice.  I'm not surprised. His ovation was well deserved.  A splendid evening. Just what the doctor ordered. 
Rare shot of Larry not smiling.