Friday 21 October 2016

If It Wasnae For The Weavers

       "If it wasnae for The Weavers,what wuid we dae?" Well we'd go out and sing, I expect. Having waved a beery goodnight to Malc Gurnham outside The Felix Holt yesterday after a long lunchtime session I settled down,the lone passenger, to snooze my way through the bus journey home. I must admit, I little expected that a few hours later and in the most excellent company of Mr. John Keaney, I'd be part of a hugely enjoyable evening's entertainment at The Weaver's Arms in Fillongley. Funny old world,eh?
       One of our regular Thursday meetings of The Nuneaton & District Elderly Gentlemen's Binge Drinking Society (Folk Club Section) had begun at noon. Fortified by Baltis and All Day Brunches ( or breakfast and chips as Malc calls them) the banter, chatter and general bitching had lingered on until around 5.30pm. This is what usually happens. The fainter hearted drift gradually away during the afternoon, leaving Malc and I to work gainfully through the beer menu. This is where the real deals are closed. I think I'd agreed to book Cara Dillon in at The Crown, and Malc was going to play acoustic bass during “Bring It On Home” next month-but it was all getting a bit fuzzy.
         Malc said he was off later to an evening somewhere in Warwickshire. I could only marvel at his stamina and doze fitfully on the back seat of De Courcey's last bus I wondered what sort of superhuman Folk Trouper could spend an evening carousing like that,after such an invigorating exploration of the handpulled Craft Ales on offer in The Felix? Not me, certainly.
        Back home,slippers on, mug of tea in hand,blearily checking messages, I saw that John Kearney had been having a bit of a day of it at work. He needed some communal singing that evening he said, a bit of a Craic. There was nothing for it, I would have to accompany him. So he picked me up shortly afterwards and soon we were circumnavigating Nuneaton's road closures and diversions. ( He made me do it. It was all his fault).
      When we arrived a startled faction of Nuneaton Camra were already settled in there on a scouting mission, including Ray Buckler, a regular at NFC and AFC evenings. The Weavers Arms sessions are an informal in the round session in this pleasant Warwickshire Pub. No big egos: everyone takes a turn and there are no restrictions or ground rules. With a banjo, two saxophones, an accordion, four guitars and a box of harmonicas, there was little territory we couldn't cover. John got “We Shall Overcome,” and “I Wanted to be Bob Dylan” off his chest and then was soon visibly unwinding.
Eddie Jones warming up his machine.
       Fortified by the excellent Purity Gold served in there, we did “Down Where The Drunkards Roll “ and “T'was On An April Morning together. Next to me, Maria Barham churned out the hits from a Golden Hour of Madge. Whilst over towards the bar were The Smiths. No, not that lot with Morissey and Marr: this was Mick, his brother and two lady vocalists. Jan Richardson brought subtlety and sophistication to the table. Her versions of “The Fallen Leaves” and “Moondance” were sublime.
       This doesn't tell the whole story. John and I did “Vigilante Man,” and there were quite a lot of instrumentals. I lost count of the variations of “Anjii.” Whoever took the vocals, they were accompanied by masterful middle sections of improvisation. I have never heard “Bring It On Home” done with a Horn section before. Twin saxophones filled in between phrases and I have to admit,that was so good, we went round twice. John was cajoled/forced/bullied into doing his unique versions of “ Staying Alive.” and “Don't Worry/Irish Rover.”
      We had Folk. We had Country,Reggae,Blues, Jazz and Contemporary. The dog next door joined in occasionally,often in the right key,and we finished indecently late with a rousing version of “Go Lassie Go.” Of Malc Gurnham there was no sign. I hope he got home from The Felix safely....