Monday 16 July 2012

Another Try at The Sty

Trying to up my (previously woeful!) performance rate locally,to avoid rustiness and to keep the voice oiled, yesterday I drove across Warwickshire and into Cov. to The Sty Folk Club for a warble at their Singer's Night.

I managed to air "Vigilante Man"(Happy 100th,Woody!),"Peggy Gordon" and two BPS originals,"Bonio Romeo" and "If I were a Goat." The latter is one of the few Beyonce covers on the Folk Circuit today. Both BPS songs are packed with puns-to the point of inducing audience groaning.

As well as performing, Katherine Fear was showcasing her guitar group, and the sound of a whole collection of acoustic guitars playing melodically together and filling a big room,was a very nostalgic moment for me personally. Having introduced such occasions well over 30 times, I know exactly the work that goes into tutoring such groups, and the work (and angst) that goes into perfoming such well-arranged pieces. Well done Katherine.

There were some French people present so I introduced the Goat by explaining " Nous avons des visiteurs Francais ici ce soir. Bienvenue! Maintenant mes amis, c'est le temps pour un chanson au sujet des chevres!" This prompted some polite but heartfelt sounds of protest. My pidgin-French had panicked them into insisting that they stood up and gave us a song about horned quadrupeds. (Perhaps I'll keep that in the act?) Having sorted out that misunderstanding,it was good to give Billy and Nanny an outing again, and to hear an audience bleating (as opposed to singing) a chorus.

I was also roped in at short notice to sing along with Jon Harrington on Jimmy Reed's "Bright Lights Big City" . Jon has jammed along with us on blues numbers in several venues previously, making him an honorary Parrot. So I was honoured,flattered and a just a little bit frightened by his invitation. I like Mr. Reed's langorous,drawling style of blues, and his squeaky, piping harp playing. I have a couple of his albums, and I especially like "Shame Shame Shame," which I've got rehearsed almost to performance standard. I like " Honest I do " also and "It's a Sin.". But I've never worked on "Bright Lights" before,so it was very unfamiliar territory and quite a challenge. However with other musicians joining in about the room, I think I got away with the vocals. Other than singing straight through Mick's initial attempt at a guitar solo, which I very kindly led him into next time round!

A very carefully walking Chris Tobin was present, but he did not actually perform. Chris has hurt his back. I was empathising with him about that previously over the weekend-but them mine seized too. Painful. Most of the other singers I had seen and heard previously. I hadn't met Cliff Hands before though. I liked his delivery, his songs and his guitar playing, and would like to hear more.