Friday 31 August 2012

Sunday Night Rings a Bell

I was back at the Bell Inn, Monk's Kirby Sunday 26th August, to join The Sly Old Dogs for a night of good audience singing and good music.

I went Solo and did "Thirty Foot Trailer" (Ewan McColl)  and "Chicken On a Raft"  (Cyril Tawney via Young Tradition). Both used to be very popular circuit songs  in 1960's Folk Clubs. They were responded to warmly here. For my third number I gambled on a new one I've floated in a few venues-" What a Folking Liberty." This has a chorus which an audience has to sing very carefully if they wish to avoid committing an offence. On one occasion at Bedworth Folk Club I got it wrong myself, to much hilarity. Let me give you an example:

" Oh Folk me what a Folking Life!
  It's no folking good for me!
   But if I wasna out a Folking
   Then where the Folk would I be?
   So Folk you once and Folk you twice
   and Folk you once again
   We know Folk all and we'll sing Folk all
   and we'll sing it once again."

Try singing that quickly to any tune you like! Let me tell you,when you start getting vowel sounds in the wrong place on that one it's a downward slippery slope. It makes "Pheasant Plucker" seem tame! Got through it though, despite there being a sudden and unannounced firework display on just outside the window. Never had that effect on people before.

Though some regulars were missing due to holidays, there were a couple of additions to add to the entertainment. Maggie Coleman, and Dave Cook, for example. A thoroughly enjoyable night.