Monday 27 May 2013

Ding Dong at The Bell

     It nearing the end of the month, I spent last night once again just over the hill road, in the company of Sly Old Dogs and friends, at The Bell, Monks Kirby.  (Is it me? Or are the SODs and their "friends" getting just a little bit prettier?) Anyway, they were ably led and choreographed by Doctor Willow.  (Which sounds like some 1970's kid's t.v. cartoon).

     We were just a little thin on the ground in places,presumably because of the Bank Holiday. At one stage the musicians outnumbered the audience. This is common in many folk venues but quite a rare spot here. And speaking of a  rare spot, Paul interrupted one song intro  by enquiring of Bob Brooker which bird was bothering him as he tried to sleep during the previous night. He added hastily that the nuisance was being caused by something "hooting." He then gave an eerie and frankly  fairly frightening impression. Bob opined that it was either a Raven or something objecting to an owl. I disagree. ( I haven't shared with Bob yet, that I am an RSPB member). Setting aside all possible double entendres about birds bothering men in their sleeping chambers,my guess would be a coot, a  moorhen, or Canada Geese.  All have calls which can carry quite a long way on a still, calm night like Saturday was. I expect Paul slept with the window open. Partly to get some fresh air, and partly as a potential means of escape. Most waterfowl are feeling pretty frisky at the moment, and their mournful lovelorn cries would carry quite a long way. No charge for that advice,Paul. Just send me the Bill.
  
     Ever the daring, crazy Loon, I made my first contribution by singing what is usually the final song of the night. An alternative version of " Wiil Ye Go Lassie Go. "  Being quite early in to the first of three halves, this got a few people confused. The Pub Dog went out for a wee, and Paco started stacking the chairs. I just wanted to make the interesting point that variations of so many songs exist. The version I did  is one I picked up from Alex Campbell. Not, (unhappily), in person, but on disc. It has an additional verse to some versions which  I've heard locally.  And a few very Scottish-sounding phrases about "dear glens sae drearie", " I will twine for thee a bower," " wi' all the fleurs o' the mountain."  Och, yes.  Another little known fact about this fine old song is that it was written about a disobedient ( but beautifully groomed) collie, who (like Doctor Willow) featured on childrens' television. She kept turning up at the ranchhouse door and barking. And this horrid little kid with a brace and a check shirt used to keep shouting the title line at the dog.  Try it. But use an American accent. ( Makes sense,now,  right?). 

     Anyway, there was some stirring stuff for the audience to savour. Rousing performances from "The orchestra " of classics such as Wild Rover  and Rose of Allandale. Pete in particular had a positively Richie Havens moment, spanking the axe and plucking the guitar strings with a speed and aggression during a Jackson Browne number, "Before the Deluge". The recently departed (alas!) Old Boy himself would have approved of such delivery.

   As a reward for the singing along with me during Go Lassie Go, and because Sean Cannon wasn't there, I aired "Black Velvet Band," my guilty pleasure, as my second piece. Always well-received.   By this time, Cheryl had arrived, and she contributed a real crowd pleaser, "Drift Away," the anthemic Dobie Gray song. Got everyone singing in a wistful kind of way. After a lengthy promo for Coventry Songwriters circle, Bob did one of his own songs, the newly penned "Bridlington Quays." Nicely sung and nicely played, with a haunting little whistle accompaniment. More wistful singing also accompanied Paul's  60's classic "Colours." When he'd finished, Bob executed perfect comic timing and brought the House down by adding, pensively, during a pregnant silence, " I always liked that Jason Donovan."

   Other highlights were the always greatly enjoyable "Yarmouth Town," performed by Colin Squire and his accompanist Paco, on hot spoons. (Because he'd fetched them from the dishwasher). A rousing song, this,and performed at a mischiveously rousing pace.  And that Sue Sanders is a bit of a dark horse. Having seen BPS and Bill Bates tearing up the house at Beduff just a few days back-there she was again.Sitting opposite me,last night. And only playing the fiddle! Rather well, actually. Performing solo and adding some nice stuff to other people's work.

   I'd sat next to Tony Super and his wife, and so I was able to crank him up and get him re-started during a stall half-way through "Over The Hills." Tony and I usually have a pre-gig chat nowadays, so we don't duplicate each other's repertoire. As a result, neither of us sang Peggy Gordon! But he did do "Marie's Wedding."  I have sung this in public previously-but only once. Lovely tune.

   For my third choice, I couldn't make my mind up whether or not to do "Lakes of Ponchartrain," or "Need Your Love So Bad." Both songs I really love. I chose the latter as it is considerably shorter than the six verses of "Lakes." I had a feeling that the SODs wanted to rip things up a little, and I didn't want to delay things. I wasn't wrong.  Fabulous finish,boys!