Wednesday 12 November 2014

Lest we Forget

    Yesterday, for the second time in five years, irreconcilable differences suddenly surfaced to break up Black Parrot Seaside. It caused me great personal pain the last time it happened, in 2009, and the pain of it this time was even more immense. Both times were like bereavement. I personally  can cope better with the sense of loss this time, although I have concerns about the disappointment which a few others may feel. Particularly friends and families. Of the most grievous  hurt was the immediate loss of both our bookings at 2014 Bedworth Folk Festival.
 
   It is also very disappointing that we were on the brink of beginning work on a second CD. To include all the songs people have applauded or requested. Rod Felton's " Curly." Our own "Down Our Street"  and "Albert Balls." All lost, now.
 
   None of this was at my instigation. When someone walks out of a rehearsal and/or a meeting and refuses point blank to discuss the band or projects associated with it, I really don't see how that band can continue. And I cannot envisage where any of us were expected to go thereafter, except in separate directions. Again.   

    It has been made plain to me recently that as a Front man, compere, organiser, singer and songwriter I am just not good enough. The honest course of action then, is to man up and accept this consensus. Clearly, I have been deceiving myself. I feel so stupid. A vain, silly old man, with a conceited view of his own capabilities and an imagined talent. Realising how others see me as a performer, and with the added limitation of not playing any instrument, my only option now is a return to solo work. Some venues-The Larder at Atherstone, The Bell at Monks Kirby, The Abbey Theatre, The Fox at Attleborough, and  Rowington Folk Club-only know me as a solo artist, anyway. But this is a limited option. With my own self-esteem now at rock bottom, this it may be "it " for me, and for public musical performance.

    HOWEVER: I am not quite so ready to let go of Nuneaton Folk Club. Even though I am haunted by an odd sensation that some  hoped to watch it crash and burn. Well: here is some bad news for them. It hasn't. I have spent today talking to Julian, who runs The Crown where the club is based. He is 100% adamant that he wants ME  to continue running the club.  I am DELIGHTED to oblige.  And just to spike what feels occasionally like Schadenfreude, I  will keep it going  until someone else better suited offers to step in and do it better.  (Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough).

    A few other volunteers have  put in quite a bit of time helping me establish this club  and very grateful I will always be for their input. But : I  put in quite a shift, myself.  I negotiated the venue, created (and then kept updated) a Club Website and a Facebook Page and produced posters and fliers. I wrote and delivered Press releases, did media interviews and promoted NFC events at other venues. I booked a full monthly programme a year ahead, donated raffle prizes, liaised with the venue on advertising and even commissioned a Club Banner.  It would be a shame to dump all that, just to satiate  the egos of a few small minded people. 

  Undoubtedly, there would have been a few sad people who would have been delighted to see the new club fold.  Especially given its instant success. But that won't be happening.  Julian and I have been so encouraged by the attendances at Nuneaton over the first two months, that we are reluctant to let that goodwill go lightly. I feel I owe it to those who have turned out so far, to try to keep it going until someone else  takes it over. So it continues. With all the advertised guests still coming, over the next 12 months.
    Finally, there will also be a tiny minority who will be delighted that once again, and probably terminally, Black Parrot Seaside are off the local and national circuit. They will rush to fill our shoes and fulfil our cancelled bookings. Good luck to all concerned, with that.