Monday 17 November 2014

The Show must go on

Indeed it must.  Maybe not the usual show, during a period when BPS are having one of its self-inflicted “rest periods.” But, on the premise of use it or lose it, I got back onto the horse again Saturday and last night, and went out singing. Solo.
     Saturday I spent busking with other mates to help promote the upcoming Bedworth Folk Festival. It's good to hear that tickets are selling so well for this event, but no excuse for not getting together and slinging a few tunes out at the startled diners of Beduff. This time, not from the Arctic wastes of the Market Hall, but from the cosier interior of the Foyer of The Civic Hall itself. Opposite the restaurant. Using a compact, (fully working) and effective P.A. thoughtfully provided by the Centre. Nice one.

    There, I joined Malc Gurnham, Gill Gilsenan, Des Patalong, Dave Webb, Phil Benson Dave Parr and a still slightly jet-lagged John Meechan, to demonstrate what the good citizens of Bedrock could be missing on the 28th 29th and 30th November. In clutches of twos and threes, we did our stuff, with some erm, interesting collaborations. I sang “Need Your Love So Bad,” “ Thirty Foot Trailer,” “The Old Triangle,” “Over The Hills” and “ Shoals Of Herring.” The whole company finished with a glorious rendition of the Tom Lewis song “Union Miners Stand Together.” Which was both poignant and apt in a town where there were once so many collieries. ( And where now there are none).

    Last night I joined Terry Oakley and Friends out at Beanfield Avenue in Coventry. Tony Okehampton is the Sty Folk Club host who loves to wind me up by pretending he can never remember my name. Possibly because he so often appears to be changing his own. Anyway, Ray Oaktree it was who led a small but perfectly formed company through a range of mostly contemporary covers and self-penned songs. Accompanied at various times by harmonica, keyboards, various guitars, percussion and and an Industrial capacity hot air blower. So diverse was the room temperature, that artistes performed in coats and scarves whilst the heating was not on and got town to shirtsleeves rolled up  when it was.No one sang “ Leaving on a jet plane,” but with the back of the stage sounding like a 747 nosing off a Heathrow apron, it would have been apt. 

        Ramon Oakshott himself had fixed some miniature runway lights to the sound aperture of his guitar since I last saw him play. Whether this was a tuning system, or just a device he had fitted to keep him awake never became fully clear. But it was very pretty. Mahendra and Jan treated us to some tasteful arrangements, including their own material, and a nice version of the Carpenters' “Superstar,” Not to be outdone, John Hancox gave us some Rod McKuen and Gordon Lightfoot and we even had a Faces' cover from Simon Groves. (Nice axe, Si!). Rod Oakenshield took us all over the shop-Dylan's “Blowing in The Wind” (very clever, Reggie!), Country Blues, heating technology, the lot. Caroline Horne spanked out a lively mix of creditable self-penned tunes and covers, leaving Hilary Wilson to combine her lovely voice and subtle guitar pickin' with some of her own wistful, fey numbers, packed with imagery.

     Me? Well I was planning to air a brand new Canal song. One never performed publicly before. But I lost my nerve and started instead with “Between The Wars” and “ It's All Over Now.” I felt we needed cheering up a little after that, and because Bobby Oakfield had switched the Blower back on again during my stint, I added two of my own, “Down Our Street,” and “ If I were a Goat.” It was the perfect opportunity for me then to get “ Tom Waits For The Waterways” out of the wrapper, but I bottled it again and finished with “ The Old Triangle.” instead. Mainly because I could remember the words, having done it only yesterday, across the County Line.

    P.S.. He's Rob Oakey. I knew that all the time. I took a photo of him last night to remind me.  Surrounded by his admirers. ( Blimey, he's going to get me, now!)